Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Nightmares, the Vet, Roto Hiddack...

Last night was full of nightmares - huge houses, and running from things and people; hiding and hanging urine-soaked* shoes on the clothesline; skateboarding into people's houses and running out of sidewalk with the river overflowing because of SOMETHING I did to it. It was an accident!

There may have been a certain WoWesque effect, but I'm not sure; 
can't remember;
don't want to remember.

Even having Moggie and Yodie-odie-odie on the bed with me was not enough to keep away fear of things that go bump in the night.

"From goulies and ghosties and long-leggedy beasties
And things that go bump in the night
Good Lord, deliver us!" 
~ A traditional Scottish prayer  

Sometimes this happens, and the light stays on all night. 

Or the light comes on again in the middle of the night, perchance for reading - but actually to keep away those things...
...the ones that go bump in the night. 

"An' the Gobble-uns 'll git you
Ef you
Don't
Watch
Out!"
~ James Whitcomb Riley
~~~ 
Yodie-odie-odie had to go to the Veterinarian yesterday for her Well-kitty Checkup. Happily, she doesn't have HIV or that other feline disease.
She screamed and squalled when getting her shot and giving blood for the tests.

 "That may have added to the nightmares last night," she thought darkly.

Yodie has to go back in three weeks for her first booster. She's not going to like it.
Nor will I.
 ~~~ 
I went back to bed after writing the above. I awoke with a dwetful headache. Even and probably a roto** hiddack.

ASIDE: I think it's from the White Russians I had last night to celebrate my penultimate watercolor class. This particular class left me downhearted because I learned to apply watercolors straight from the tube - which gives the look of an oil painting and is not what I'm after at all, at all. 

But I learned how to do Dry Brush Work, so that was a bonus.

'nother 'side: I need a Real watercolor class. A class with a teacher. 
I need a job so I can afford to take a real art class. 
hunh.
Roto hiddacks are not conducive to levity.

mj

ps Good news! Speaking of roto, our new electric rototiller came yesterday! Now all I have to do is put it together, then get outside in the Fresh Air and Whir Up My Yard!
I'm looking forward to it.
I really am.

*Fortunately, only in my dream. It wasn't a case of wetting the bed and dreaming about it. Thank goodness.
**Roto is a word I learned from Tim Cahill in Road Fever. "Roto," as we have learned earlier, is Spanish for broken. It's also Chilean slang for drooling, babbling winos. Tim and his driving partner applied the word to a particular type of headache (or "hiddack") they got from drinking the local alcohol on their trip through South America. Read it. Once you get past the first 100 pages (boring stuff about putting the trip together), it laugh-out-loud rocks!

2 comments: